From Victoria, British Columbia, Debbie Kangas writes, "While visiting my in-laws in the Canary Islands, we had a rooftop buffet for 20 people to celebrate our anniversaries. This was one of the dishes my mother-in-law prepared. It's been popular here at home ever since."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-2/3 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked couscous
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint or 1/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous; cover. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine couscous, tomatoes, onion and herbs. Whisk together the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over couscous mixture; toss to coat. Chill overnight.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 168 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Couscous Salad in Light & Tasty June/July 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.