- 1 medium acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 fully cooked spinach and feta chicken sausage links (3 ounces each), sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- Crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Sprinkle squash with salt and pepper; place in a microwave-safe dish, cut side down. Microwave, covered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Add sausage; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add stock; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until stock is absorbed. Spoon over squash. If desired, top with feta cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forCouscous & Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash
"This was quick and very tasty. I didn't have any couscous on hand so I substituted with brown rice. I think the squash would be better roasted in the oven instead of microwaving. The squash become very soft in the microwave. I will be making this again and roasting it next time. Then, maybe I will update my review.Update on Janurary 27th. I tried the recipe again and roasted the squash in the oven with some brown sugar and maple syrup. So much better! We lost the soggy mush. I would give this 5 stars if you roast the squash in the oven first."