- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, oil and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews forCountry White Bread
"I came upon this recipe today and made a couple loaves and so glad I did.this is by far the best white bread I have ever made,I cut down the sugar to 1/4 cup and used bread flour and it came out perfect,large,golden crusted loaves.no bread machine for me,just hand made bread with lots of TLC. will make often."
"I don't usually make white bread, but I needed some "hearty white bread" for a meatloaf recipe. I could not see buying an expensive sliced white bread at the grocery so I made half of this recipe. The loaf came out great...sliced perfectly and has a great chew. I know I will finish the whole loaf!!! It's a keeper!!!"
"my favorite ! will definitely make again!""
"This is by far the best basic white bread recipe I've used. I make it quite a bit, always turns out great."
"This recipe is one of the simplest, yet best recipes for home style bread I've made. My family enjoys it, we give it away and friends are so happy to get a nice warm loaf. This recipe usually makes 3 for us, as we've done it in two and the loaves are HUGE on top. So we do 2 loaves and cinnamon buns or 3 loaves. Enjoy!"
"Turned out great. I substituted warm milk for the water portion. It is sweet and a little doughy."
"This recipe was so easy and SO yummy! This is definitely being added to our family favorites."
"I tried this recipe for the first time yesterday. It turned out wonderfully!! I halved the recipe and before putting the bread in the oven I misted the top with some water to improve the lift. This recipe is a keeper."
"Turned out perfect! Will be making this again."
"Great bread! I also use it for my cinnamon rolls."