Country Tomato-Rice Soup
When my husband comes home after being on the road, I like to have a hot pot of this traditional soup waiting for him. It's a wonderful "welcome home" meal on a cold winter day.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef in oil. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add tomatoes, bouillon and seasonings; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add carrots, celery, onion and rice. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until beef and rice are tender.
1 cup: 122 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Oct 7, 2019My family loves this Country tomato and Rice Soup. I have been serving it for a number of years since I found it in a Taste of Home Cookbook. I recently purchased an Instant Pot and would like to make this soup in it. Could someone please suggest a conversion form stovetop to Instant Pot for this recipe? Thank you!
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC