When she needs a fast flavorful meal-in-one, Terri Adrian of Lake City, Florida turns to this filling combination of kielbasa, rice and veggies. "It's a hearty dish for cool weather," she says.
Recommended: 75 Farmhouse-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fully cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut broccoli, thawed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion in oil until onion is tender; drain. Combine the water, soup, basil, thyme and pepper; add to skillet.
- Stir in broccoli and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Country Skillet in Quick Cooking September/October 2004, p33
Reviews forCountry Skillet
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 24, 2012
"This is a fast stick to the ribs meal - wonderful way to use kielbasa!"