Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.
- 3/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place currants in a bowl. Cover with hot water and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine sour cream and egg yolks; add to crumb mixture. Stir in currants just until blended.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Divide into four portions. On ungreased baking sheets, pat dough into 4-in. circles. Cut each into four wedges, but do not separate.
- Beat egg white; brush over dough. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over tops. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
1 each: 156 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.