Country Sage Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, celery seed, salt, sage, nutmeg, egg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a round loaf. Place in a greased 8-in. or 9-in. pie plate. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pie plate to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 119 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 23, 2014
Am particularly fond of the herb, sage. Kinda stumbled upon this recipe. As a Type I iabetic, must limit carbohydrates, so was pleased to see only 20 carbs per slice. Generally 1 carb is 15 mg., accarding to ADA. Will definitelymake soon. Thank you for sharing!