Men seem to really enjoy this simple yet tasty beef and rice pie. They always ask for seconds.—Zelma Hartman, Franklin, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1-1/3 cups instant rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. pie plate.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, 1/2 cup cheese, water and salt. Spoon into meat shell. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 294 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1344mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Country Pie in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips