Men seem to really enjoy this simple yet tasty beef and rice pie. They always ask for seconds.—Zelma Hartman, Franklin, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1-1/3 cups instant rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. pie plate.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, 1/2 cup cheese, water and salt. Spoon into meat shell. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 294 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1344mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Dec 18, 2018
This is a great satisfying dish for a cold day. I omit the salt because there is plenty of sodium in the tomato sauce. It tastes really good if you have any left over and reheats well.