Country Pepper Omelet Pie
I developed this recipe combining potatoes and eggs over 30 years ago as a way to satisfy my family's hearty appetites. The green and red peppers really add a festive flair to the table.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3-1/2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute 1/2 cup onion in oil until tender. Add the potatoes and half of the salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are thawed and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pat potatoes onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. deep dish pie plate. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the peppers, and remaining onion in butter until tender. Spoon over potato crust. Top with cheese. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, paprika, parsley and remaining salt and pepper. Pour over all.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 291 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 749mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Country Pepper Omelet Pie in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.