Country Pear Puff Pancake
This sweet, gooey pancake is dressed up with cara melized pears and baked until golden. Cut into serving-size wedges, it's a special change of pace.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add pears; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar and lemon juice.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, milk, eggs, syrup, vanilla and salt until smooth; pour over pears. Bake at 450° until puffy, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining brown sugar. Spread over pancake. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve immediately. If desired, top with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 468 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 181mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Country Pear Pancake in Country Woman Christmas 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.