Country Pear Puff Pancake
This sweet, gooey pancake is dressed up with cara melized pears and baked until golden. Cut into serving-size wedges, it's a special change of pace.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add pears; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar and lemon juice.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, milk, eggs, syrup, vanilla and salt until smooth; pour over pears. Bake at 450° until puffy, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining brown sugar. Spread over pancake. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve immediately. If desired, top with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 468 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 181mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Country Pear Pancake in Country Woman Christmas 2007