Country Oven Omelet
I love to make this pie of weekends when my husband and I have time to enjoy every savory bite. Green and red pepper add color and flavor.—Kim Pettipas, Oromocto, New Brunswick
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a skillet, saute 1/2 cup onion in oil. Add hash browns, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until hash browns are thawed. Press mixture into an ungreased 10-in. pie plate, forming a shell.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, peppers and remaining onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in parsley. Spoon into the potato shell. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, paprika and remaining salt and pepper; pour over meat mixture. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 376 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 202mg cholesterol, 761mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Country Oven Omelet in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.