I love to make this pie of weekends when my husband and I have time to enjoy every savory bite. Green and red pepper add color and flavor.—Kim Pettipas, Oromocto, New Brunswick
Recommended: Iconic Foods From Cities Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large onion, chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a skillet, saute 1/2 cup onion in oil. Add hash browns, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until hash browns are thawed. Press mixture into an ungreased 10-in. pie plate, forming a shell.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, peppers and remaining onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in parsley. Spoon into the potato shell. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, paprika and remaining salt and pepper; pour over meat mixture. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Country Oven Omelet in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p279