Country Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- 1. In a 2-qt. saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in broth until smooth. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute the celery and onion in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add to broth mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 305 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 916mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Country Mushroom Soup
"Very good, I've been making this since 2004. One recipe usually serves three adults."
"The best mushroom soup I have ever had and all I had to do was reduced the salt for my diet requrments."
"Very nice and simple. I usually don't mess with the recipe the first time, but I used skim milk, added garlic and reduced the oil to lower the calories. Nice flavor"
"I did not have celery but followed the recipe otherwise. I did double it and it served 4 adults with no leftovers. I have made this twice and both times it was fantastic. This soup was perfect on a cold snowy Colorado night!"
"very good! I didn't have celery so I used bok choy and added a little jalapeno."
"It was fantastic!! I doubled the recipe ~mushrooms and all. My children thought it was "mushroom overload" so next time I'll double everything but the mushrooms. :)"
"Absolutely delicious! Will double the recipe next time!"
"whole family loved it!"
"this is by far the best fresh mushroom soup recipe i have made. YUMMY!!"