Country Italian Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the sausage, onion and celery until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in zucchini; simmer 8-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 211 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 876mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 22, 2012
Easy and very yummy. Will make again.
Feb 28, 2012
Have made this soup over 6 times in the past year and haven't tired of it. A true classic, great find. I always double the recipe, except for the cayenne pepper.