I have three small children and I'm always trying new meat loaf recipes. This recipe is something I developed, and it's one of the first meat loaves that my kids really went for. See if your kids like it, too!
Recommended: 50 Recipes We're Cooking Right Now
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- HERB SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- MEAT LOAF:
- 2 pounds ground beef or combination of ground beef, pork and veal
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- In a skillet, heat oil on high. Saute the mushrooms; onion and garlic. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and sugar. Remove 1-1/2 cups. Add water, bay leaf and basil to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine all meat loaf ingredients with 1-1/2 cups reserved sauce. press into a 9x5-in. loaf pan lined with waxed paper. Unmold onto a roasting pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from oven; drain. Spread 1/2 cup of herb sauce over top of meat loaf. Return to oven for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf and serve remaining sauce over individual servings. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Country Herbed Meat Loaf in Country Extra January 1992, p47
Reviews forCountry Herbed Meat Loaf
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2014
"Sauce was to tangy my family didn't like this recipe at all"
Reviewed Sep. 24, 2011
"Great texture, try stuffing with Spinach and mushrooms and swiss cheese."