Country Herbed Meat Loaf
I have three small children and I'm always trying new meat loaf recipes. This recipe is something I developed, and it's one of the first meat loaves that my kids really went for. See if your kids like it, too!
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 1 hour
- HERB SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- MEAT LOAF:
- 2 pounds ground beef or combination of ground beef, pork and veal
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- In a skillet, heat oil on high. Saute the mushrooms; onion and garlic. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and sugar. Remove 1-1/2 cups. Add water, bay leaf and basil to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine all meat loaf ingredients with 1-1/2 cups reserved sauce. press into a 9x5-in. loaf pan lined with waxed paper. Unmold onto a roasting pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from oven; drain. Spread 1/2 cup of herb sauce over top of meat loaf. Return to oven for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf and serve remaining sauce over individual servings.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 334 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Country Herbed Meat Loaf in Country Extra January 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.