Country Herbed Meat Loaf
I have three small children and I'm always trying new meat loaf recipes. This recipe is something I developed, and it's one of the first meat loaves that my kids really went for. See if your kids like it, too!
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 1 hour
- HERB SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- MEAT LOAF:
- 2 pounds ground beef or combination of ground beef, pork and veal
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- In a skillet, heat oil on high. Saute the mushrooms; onion and garlic. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and sugar. Remove 1-1/2 cups. Add water, bay leaf and basil to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine all meat loaf ingredients with 1-1/2 cups reserved sauce. press into a 9x5-in. loaf pan lined with waxed paper. Unmold onto a roasting pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from oven; drain. Spread 1/2 cup of herb sauce over top of meat loaf. Return to oven for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf and serve remaining sauce over individual servings.