VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 quarts water
- 4 turkey bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place in an ovenproof Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan; add 2 qts. water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until beans are almost tender. Drain and reserve liquid; set beans aside.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Coat same Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add bacon, onion and celery; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Stir in beans, brown sugar, mustard, thyme, garlic powder and 2 cups reserved liquid.
- Cover and bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Add more reserved liquid as needed. Stir in salt before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Country French Beans in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p61