Country Cornmeal Bread
"We grow over 1,000 acres of corn on our farm, so guests expect to enjoy some when they visit," says Arlene Riensche from Jesup, Iowa. "This country bread is a favorite when served warm."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Serve warm.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Warmed buttermilk will appear curdled.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 112 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 28, 2014
The bread had a nice flavor and was very soft. I didn't really get too much of the cornmeal flavor or texture. My loaf sank in the middle, but that happens sometimes. Still, it's a good recipe.
May 26, 2008
Not Yet Rated.