I've been making this recipe for about 30 years, and it's still my husband's favorite chicken dinner. In place of the bacon, I'll often substitute country-smoked ham.
Recommended: 100 Ways to Cook Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Remove and set aside. Drain drippings. In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until almost crisp. Add green pepper and onion; saute until tender. drain. Return chicken to the skillet. Add water, mushrooms, tomato, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. In a small bowl, combine flour and broth until smooth. stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve chicken and noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Country Chicken in Country Extra January 2003, p49