- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 2 uncooked garlic-flavored pork sausage links
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound boneless lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage links; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add bacon to skillet; cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to slow cooker.
- In bacon drippings, cook pork and lamb until browned on all sides. Place in slow cooker. Stir in beans and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beans are tender. Discard cloves and bay leaves. Remove sausage and cut into 1/4-in. slices; return to slow cooker and stir gently. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forCountry Cassoulet
"This dish is FABULOUS, probably due to the fresh ingredients--I mean, it's mainly prepared from scratch. I skipped the bacon, used vegetable oil instead since I didn't have bacon and it was still good. Also I used veal stew meat because I could not find lamb. Finally, I used fresh Italian-style chicken sausage with Romano cheese since I could not find fresh garlic sausage either. Also used fresh thyme instead of dried. The whole house smelled wonderful. Like comfort food. The dish tastes complex although it is simple. French food at home! What a joy."