Country Captain Chicken
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 pound bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked rice
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place chicken in a large bowl. Mix flour, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper; sprinkle over chicken and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on all sides; remove from pan.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic to drippings; cook and stir over low heat until tender. Increase heat to medium-high. Add curry powder; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, currants, parsley, thyme and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan.
- Bake, covered, 35-45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Skim fat. Serve chicken and sauce over rice; sprinkle with almonds and, if desired, additional parsley.
Mar 24, 2016
This chicken is very tender which is the most important factor to my family. I did leave it in the oven longer than suggested. It could use a little more flavor so next time I might add some hot peppers or Rotel tomatoes with chilis but over all, easy to fix and so tender!
Jul 15, 2014
I think with 3 pounds of chicken, this recipe would serve far mare than 4 people. Would you please correct this?
Jan 23, 2014
Have just noticed this chicken recipe, one which I'll be making not too far from now. Also noticed you live in Taylors, SC, Lo and behold ~ my nephew and wife also live in Taylors, and my brother and wife live in Greer. Small world it seems. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Sarah.