Country Brunch Pie
This egg pie makes a great brunch dish with fruit and muffins, or serve it for lunch with tossed greens and French bread.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage into crust; sprinkle with cheese. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, mushrooms, peppers and onion; pour over cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 288 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 364mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein.
Dec 28, 2009
I suggest adding freshly sauteed mushrooms, onions,peppers with one clove of garlic, as opposed to recipe as is. I also deglazed the pan with 1/3 cup marsala wine. This was very tasty and delicious