Our daughter, Christy, loves baking this pretty braided bread with a hint of ginger. She has entered it in various 4-H competitions and enjoys teaching others how to make it.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bread: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 eggs
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, ginger, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six pieces. Shape each into a 12-in. rope. Braid three ropes; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 104 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Country Bread in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.