- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, water, tapioca and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in the apples until coated. Pour into a greased 8-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in butter and milk just until moistened. Fold in cheese and walnuts. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Serve with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCountry Apple Cobbler
"Perfection. A wonderful, warm, homey recipe with the delicious traditional flavor combination of apples and cheddar cheese reinterpreted in a delightful way. We have this often during the cooler months."