- 12 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 slice bread, torn
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender; drain. In a bowl, combine the cheese, onion, green pepper, pimientos, bread, 2 tablespoons parsley and salt.
- In a greased shallow 4-qt. baking dish, layer a third of the potatoes and a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Pour milk and butter over all; sprinkle with cornflake crumbs. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and top is golden. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forCottage Potatoes
"I substituted shredded colby/jack for velveeta, garlic salt for salt, and french fried onions for cornflakes. I omitted diced pimentos and bread. I added 2 cloves garlic, minced. I also only used 6 potatoes. It was fantastic!"
"Very very yummy comfort food! I always make sure the potatoes are very very tender so after it is baked they are gooey goodness. I used the reduced fat velvetta, use garlic salt (for the plain salt) and add garlic pepper. I serve it with Crunchy Baked Tenderloin and it is fab!"
"This just looks so good. I made this today for my daughter's boyfriend's parents. I made it with yukon gold potatoes and it sure smells great. I made them little individual meat loaves to go with it. I hope they like it!"