- 12 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 slice bread, torn into crumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender; drain. In a bowl, combine the cheese, onion, green pepper, pimientos, bread, 2 tablespoons parsley and salt.
- In a greased shallow 4-qt. baking dish, layer a third of the potatoes and a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Pour milk and butter over all; sprinkle with cornflake crumbs.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and top is golden. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews forCottage Potatoes
"Made these potatoes last night for dinner and I admit I did change some things on this one. First I did not parboil my potatoes first. I just cut them into cubes and mixed everything together and poured the whole thing into a 13x 9 pan and baked them covered in a 375 degree oven for an hour. They turned out great and so cheesy. Serve these potatoes with your favorite kind of meat and fresh vegetable, some crusty bread. And you have a good comfort food meal."
"This sounds delicious."
"I substituted shredded colby/jack for velveeta, garlic salt for salt, and french fried onions for cornflakes. I omitted diced pimentos and bread. I added 2 cloves garlic, minced. I also only used 6 potatoes. It was fantastic!"
"Very very yummy comfort food! I always make sure the potatoes are very very tender so after it is baked they are gooey goodness. I used the reduced fat velvetta, use garlic salt (for the plain salt) and add garlic pepper. I serve it with Crunchy Baked Tenderloin and it is fab!"
"This just looks so good. I made this today for my daughter's boyfriend's parents. I made it with yukon gold potatoes and it sure smells great. I made them little individual meat loaves to go with it. I hope they like it!"