Cottage Pie Recipe
I get a pound of ground turkey—the light kind—and a pound of the dark kind for this recipe, but you could use beef or lamb. — Jane Leeves, Los Angeles, California
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter), warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the first five ingredients over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up meat into crumbles; drain.
- 2. Stir in flour, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until blended. Add broth; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Stir in peas; heat through.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Top with mashed potatoes; if desired, sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cottage Pie
Reviewed Sep. 6, 2014
"This is a fast and flavorful dish. I think it needs more sauce to the filling, though. The small amount of flour and broth called for aren't enough to really produce any sauce."
Reviewed Nov. 18, 2012
"Great taste. The spices smell great while it's baking!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC