Corny Tomato Dumpling Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- CORN DUMPLINGS:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, tomatoes, broth, onion, garlic and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In another large bowl, beat egg; stir in milk, corn, cheese and parsley. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 324 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 695mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 26, 2017
This soup is so flavorful. The dumplings add the right touch to the soup!
Nov 10, 2010
Very tasty! Was a hit with everyone, even better the next day.
May 1, 2008
Very good... my family enjoyed it and it's quick and easy to make. Perfect for a mom of 2 like me. - Beckie