Corny Spanish Rice
Corn—a staple hear in Iowa—stars in this easy recipe that I received from a niece. It's a quick-to-fix meal after a busy day in the fields.—Evelyn Massner, Oakville, Iowa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn or mixed vegetables
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, water and seasonings; mix well. bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork.
Corny Spanish Rice can be served by itself as a hearty meal. But for something different, spoon some of it onto warmed flour tortillas, sprinkle with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and roll up. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 362 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Corny Spanish Rice in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.