Corny Onion Shortcake
For an unique tasting shortcake, I make these. They are surprisingly sweet yet savory in flavor.—Janet Murchie, Easley, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups corn muffin mix
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat and set aside. In a bowl, combine the muffin mix, egg, corn and milk. Spread into a greased 9-in. round baking pan.
- Combine the sour cream, 1/2 cup cheese, salt and reserved onion; spread over the batter. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Cut into squares; serve warm.