Corny Chicken Wraps
"I'm a clinical dietitian, so I like to prepare foods that are both healthy and low-fat," says Susan Alverson from Chester, South Dakota. "This zippy Tex-Mex wrap is a quick alternative to a taco or sandwich for our on-the-go family." To increase the spicy flavor, Susan suggests using a medium or hot salsa.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the chicken, green pepper and onions in oil for 3-4 minutes or until chicken juices run clear; drain. Stir in the corn, salsa, olives and chili powder. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture over one side of each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese; roll up and secure with toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 363 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Corny Chicken Wraps in Taste of Home February/March 2004