My kids love to help make these towers. They measure, mix, whisk and build stacks. It's a family custom and a perfect summer breakfast or dessert. —Josie Shapiro, San Francisco, California
Featured In: Our Berriest Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form; refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt. In another bowl, mix milk, ricotta cheese, orange juice, honey and extract until blended. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry; fold into batter.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat; grease with butter. Filling a 1/4-cup measure halfway with batter, pour batter onto griddle or skillet. Cook until edges begin to dry and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown. Cool pancakes slightly.
- In a bowl, toss strawberries with sugar. For each serving, stack three pancakes, layering each pancake with strawberries and whipped cream. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cornmeal Towers with Strawberries & Cream in Taste of Home June/July 2015