Cornmeal Mushroom Casserole
Everyone knows I can never bring just one dish to a potluck—I usually prepare several. This is one of my most requested dishes.—Gary Maly, West Chester, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 7 cups whole milk or water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Slowly whisk in cornmeal until blended. Cook and stir until thickened. Spread into two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, red pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add soy sauce; cook for 8-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir until blended. Gradually stir in cream; cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove cornmeal crust from pans; place one in a greased 4-qt. baking dish (lasagna pan). Top with half of the mushroom mixture; sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Top with the second cornmeal crust and remaining mushroom mixture and cheeses.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Let stand 15-20 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 330 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.