Cornmeal Mushroom Casserole
Everyone knows I can never bring just one dish to a potluck—I usually prepare several. This is one of my most requested dishes.—Gary Maly, West Chester, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 7 cups whole milk or water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Slowly whisk in cornmeal until blended. Cook and stir until thickened. Spread into two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, red pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add soy sauce; cook for 8-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir until blended. Gradually stir in cream; cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove cornmeal crust from pans; place one in a greased 4-qt. baking dish (lasagna pan). Top with half of the mushroom mixture; sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Top with the second cornmeal crust and remaining mushroom mixture and cheeses.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Let stand 15-20 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 330 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Cornmeal Mushroom Casserole in Taste of Home June/July 2000