Cornmeal Mini Loaves
This recipe makes six miniature loaves that can be baked, cooled and tucked into your freezer. To reheat, wrap in foil and bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
Makes6 mini loaves
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional cornmeal
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, eggs, salt, cornmeal and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into size pieces. Shape each into 6-in. oval loaf. Grease two baking sheets; sprinkle with cornmeal. Place three loaves 3 in. apart on each prepared pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make three shallow diagonal slashes across the top of each loaf. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 161 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cornmeal Mini Loaves in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.