Cornmeal Ham Cakes
These cakes are great for breakfast, but my husband and I also enjoy them for supper. It’s a fantastic way to use up leftover ham. —Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- PINEAPPLE MAPLE SYRUP:
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine the eggs, buttermilk, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients until well blended. Fold in ham. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown.
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, saute pineapple and cinnamon in butter for 4-6 minutes or until pineapple is browned. Stir in maple syrup. Serve with pancakes.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 623 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 167mg cholesterol, 1093mg sodium, 95g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Cornmeal Pancakes with Pineapple Maple Syrup in Taste of Home December/January 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.