This is an old Southern biscuit that has been in the family for years. The texture is slightly different but is still great. —Maxine Reese, Candler, North Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and egg; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Brush with butter. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 153 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.