Cornish Hens with Rice Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Set the seasoning packet from rice mix aside. In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add rice and pecans; cook and stir over low heat for 10 minutes or until rice is golden brown. Stir in the orange juice, water, raisins and contents of seasoning packet; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup rice mixture into each hen; refrigerate remaining rice mixture. Tie legs of each hen together; turn wing tips under backs. Place on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Melt remaining butter; brush over hens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and thigh reaches at least 170°. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. Heat reserved rice mixture; serve with hens.
Apr 8, 2018
Just put the hens in the oven (have made this many times) and finally remembered to give it a review. We really enjoy this meal. The orange juice in the rice makes this dish. We will continue to enjoy this for years to come.
Jun 19, 2013
Delish!! This was quite tasty; especially the the slightly orange-flavored rice. We substituted dried cranberries for the raisins. I will definitely be making this dish again.