- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Set the seasoning packet from rice mix aside. In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add rice and pecans; cook and stir over low heat for 10 minutes or until rice is golden brown. Stir in the orange juice, water, raisins and contents of seasoning packet; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup rice mixture into each hen; refrigerate remaining rice mixture. Tie legs of each hen together; turn wing tips under backs. Place on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Melt remaining butter; brush over hens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and thigh reaches at least 170°. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. Heat reserved rice mixture; serve with hens. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forCornish Hens with Rice Stuffing
"Just put the hens in the oven (have made this many times) and finally remembered to give it a review. We really enjoy this meal. The orange juice in the rice makes this dish. We will continue to enjoy this for years to come."
"Delish!! This was quite tasty; especially the the slightly orange-flavored rice. We substituted dried cranberries for the raisins. I will definitely be making this dish again."