Cornish Hens with Cranberry Stuffing
Serving Cornish hens to our young sons makes them feel like kings! I often have to make extra stuffing to have on hand for leftovers. —Marjorie O'Dell, Bow, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- Cut bread into 1/2-in. cubes; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 300° for 15 minutes or until toasted and dry. In a bowl, combine the cranberries, sugar, orange zest, salt and cinnamon; mix well. Stir in bread cubes and raisins. Add 1 tablespoon butter and enough orange juice until stuffing reaches desired moistness.
- Loosely stuff hens; rub skin with remaining butter. Place in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until juices run clear and a thermometer inserted into stuffing reads 165°.
Originally published as Cornish Hens with Cranberry Stuffing in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.