Dazzle your dinner guests with this Cornish hen and stuffing from Mary Beth Jung from Hendersonville, North Carolina. Almonds add an unexpected crunch to this savory stuffing.
Recommended: 30 Thanksgiving Recipes for Two
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups crushed seasoned stuffing
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 ounces each)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Stir in the stuffing, broth, almonds, parsley, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Spoon about 1 cup stuffing mixture into each hen; tie legs together with kitchen string.
- Place hens breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter with garlic and paprika. Uncover hens; baste with butter mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cornish Hens with Almond Stuffing in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009, p6