Cornish Hens with Almond Stuffing
Dazzle your dinner guests with this Cornish hen and stuffing from Mary Beth Jung from Hendersonville, North Carolina. Almonds add an unexpected crunch to this savory stuffing.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups crushed seasoned stuffing
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Stir in the stuffing, broth, almonds, parsley, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Spoon about 1 cup stuffing mixture into each hen; tie legs together with kitchen string.
- Place hens breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter with garlic and paprika. Uncover hens; baste with butter mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing.