Cornish Hen with Orange Stuffing
A delicate orange flavor makes this stuffing memorable. I serve potatoes and coin carrots alongside the hen for a satisfying meal.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 to 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces), split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon honey, warmed
- 1 tablespoon water
- Peel and section orange; cut each section into quarters and set aside. In a skillet, saute onions and celery in oil until crisp-tender. In a bowl, combine the onion mixture, stuffing mix, orange zest and reserved orange sections. Stir in enough orange juice to just moisten stuffing mixture.
- Arrange stuffing in two mounds in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Place Cornish game hen halves skin side up over stuffing. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for 15 minutes. Combine honey and water. Brush over hens. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until juices run clear.
Originally published as Cornish Hens with Orange Stuffing in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.