Cornflake Waffles with Honey Sauce
The great flavor of these waffles is enhanced by the crispness of the cornflakes and by the sweet honey sauce. I like to serve these with fresh fruit and sausages.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes8-10 waffles (about 6-1/2 inches)
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- HONEY SAUCE:
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornflakes, baking powder and salt. Beat egg yolks lightly; add milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. For honey sauce, combine honey, syrup, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg in a saucepan. Cook and stir on medium-low until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 505 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Cornflake Waffles with Honey Sauce in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook