Corned Beef ‘n’ Cabbage
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (1 pound)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 small head cabbage
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Place brisket and contents of spice packet in a large saucepan. Add onion, water and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Transfer brisket to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; reserve cooking liquid. Combine the brown sugar, orange zest, mustard and cloves; rub over meat. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut cabbage into four wedges, leaving a portion of the core attached to each wedge. Add cabbage and carrots to cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Thinly slice corned beef; serve with vegetables.
Feb 7, 2017
This was the best corned beef I have ever made, or had for that matter! It was very simple, and putting it in the oven at the end with the wet rub is genius. I will make this again!Oh, I added a few halved potatoes to the broth while I was putting the rub on the corn beef for the oven (before adding the carrots and cabbage).
Mar 17, 2014
excellent for St. Patrick's Day dinner! Beef was perfectly tender, slightly sweet, and very flavorful. My picky 7 year old daughter even asked for seconds!
Mar 9, 2014
slooke: To weezer410: this is for recipes not political correctness. If this site brings that much resentment out for God's sake do not read a newspaper!!!
Mar 7, 2014
This is not Irish cuisine. Beef was not affordable to the Irish in Ireland. The British brought in cattle when they took over Ireland. My ancestors raised beef for the wealthy. Our food was the potatoes , bacon, mutton, fish and vegetables. Corned beef and cabbage is an "American" culture, invented by Americans. Please understand the difference. We do not celebrate the way Americans do. It is a religious holiday for us but Americans have turned it into a "Beer Drinking day". America?s version of Irish cuisine is more of an adaption than a replica of traditional Irish food.
Jan 6, 2013
the easiest reciep
Mar 5, 2012
@ SKATER1 This is like complaining about the saltiness of prosciutto or pancetta. Corned beef by it's very nature is salty. (It after all salt cured meat.) Given this I am surpised that you tried the recipe. I believe that no modification will satisfy you. Find another dish is the only advice I can offer
Feb 24, 2012
This is fantastic! I added two large red potatoes cut into 2 inch chunks and cooked them with the carrots and cabbage. We had left overs but they did not last long. I had some of the corned beef and potatoes for breakfast next morning. I cut them into small diced pieces, melted a Tbsp of butter in a skillet and warmed them up and ate them with my eggs. Best Corned Beef Dinner I ever made.
Mar 17, 2011
What happened to the potatoes? It's not a true Irish corned beef n cabbage dinner without potatoes.
Mar 16, 2011
Married to a farmer who loves corn beef, for the ratio of being too much does nobody freeze? Comment on the flavor not the portions, or judge for yourself. It is awesome!
Mar 15, 2011
This recipe is great. Although I cok just for myself,I use a bit bigger size corned beef,but for the rest,this recipe is great and I too thank you for posting it.