Corned Beef & Cabbage for the Wine Lover
With its elegant flavor and lovely appearance, you'd never guess how easy it is to prepare this traditional St. Patrick's Day favorite. Thanks to the slow-cooker, it comes together effortlessly. —Susan F. Cepeda, M. Lakes, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 3/4 pound fingerling potatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups white wine or beef broth
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup stone-ground mustard
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into thin wedges
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- In a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker, combine the potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic. Pour wine over vegetables. Cut brisket in half. Spread with mustard; place over vegetables (discard spice packet from corned beef or save for another use).
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding cabbage and sauerkraut during the last hour of cooking. Serve beef with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef with 1-1/2 cups vegetables: 592 calories, 32g fat (10g saturated fat), 156mg cholesterol, 2712mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 8g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Corrned Beef and Cabbage for the Wine Lover in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.