- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- CORNBREAD TOPPING:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, pepper and pepper sauce. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the eggs, milk, corn and oil; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon evenly over bean mixture.
- 4. Cover and cook on high for 2½ to 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cornbread comes out clean.
1 serving: 367 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 9g fiber), 14g protein.
Sep 8, 2017
Yummy and easy to make. The whole family loved it. I suggest adding a 1/2 hour to the cooking time so the cornbread can fully cook. When serving, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Yum!
Nov 24, 2014
Putting it all together in the slow cooker did not work for me. The cornbread was not close to being done after 2 hrs - I scraped it off and threw it in the oven to finish cooking. All of the bean/tomato sauce seeped into it as well which probably caused it to not cook fully. The meal was salvaged and we did enjoy the flavors. I am trying it again but cooking the beans and cornbread separately.
Mar 21, 2012
I would make this but I would put it in the oven. Go ahead heat the beans ect then pour cornbread over hot mixture, Bake for 45 min at 400 or until you are sure it's done.
Jan 14, 2012
I just looked in my crockpot after 2 1/2 hours and the cornbread is not close to being done. I had to take it out because the beans are now burning the bottom of my cooker. I'm putting it in the oven and hoping for the best. It just may be a pizza night though. Just wish I read these reviews before and not after trying to make it.
Jan 12, 2012
This was just okay. I liked the flavor but as someone else said, there is way too much cornbread. I agree the cornbread needs to be halved and maybe even double the bean mixture!! After I put the cornbread on top it only took about 90 minutes to cook, but I think my crockpot cooks a little hot. I'm not sure if I'll make it again.
Jan 8, 2012
So far it's been 3 hours since I added the corn bread topping and most of corn bread is still raw. Followed directions exactly and I have a new slow cooker. I would not make this again.
Nov 30, 2010
This recipe is very filling!
Feb 26, 2010
There is too much corn bread for the recipe. Half of the recipe for corn bread would be just about right. I threw away half of the topping after it had drawn all of the liquid out of the beans.
Feb 22, 2010
I would use black beans instead of kidney beans just because I don't like kidney beans.
Feb 22, 2010
Oddly enough, this recipe turns out so well, it's just plain fun to eat. It's one I'll be making for my husband and I for a long time to come, as he absolutely loves it. My kids aren't so fond of it, but they eat it too.