Cornbread Sloppy Joes
Purchase ready-to-eat corn bread from the bakery section in your local grocery store.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 envelopes sloppy joe mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare and bake cornbread according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, corn, chiles and sloppy joe mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Cut cornbread into six pieces; cut each piece in half. Top with sloppy joe mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 592 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 1658mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein.
Originally published as Sloppy Joe's over Corn bread in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005