This recipe appeared in our local newspaper years ago. I adapted the recipe to suit our tastes. My husband, Ron, is a great cook, and we've been sharing the kitchen since his retirement. - Sherry Edwards, Camden, Arkansas
Recommended: 25 Surprising Ways to Use Jiffy Mix
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1-1/3 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, layer cornbread, beans, celery, onion and tomatoes. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Spoon beef over tomato layer. Spread topping over salad (do not toss). Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Corn Bread Salad in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p79