Cornbread Hamburger Pie
This one-dish skillet supper is a big hit with children. We've added green beans and other vegetables to it and ti always turns out. To speed up prep, use chopped green pepper and onion.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce, optional
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, salsa, ketchup and steak sauce if desired. Meanwhile, prepare cornbread batter according to package directions; let stand for 2 minutes.
- Spoon over beef mixture. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Originally published as Corn Bread Hamburger Pie in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips