Cornbread for a Crowd
Samuel Warnock of Union, Ohio shares his recipe for Corn Bread for a Crowd. These sunny squares are a terrific accompaniment for chili or any savory dish with gravy or sauce.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan and a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 151 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cornbread For a Crowd in Taste of Home February/March 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.