Cornbread for a Crowd
Samuel Warnock of Union, Ohio shares his recipe for Corn Bread for a Crowd. These sunny squares are a terrific accompaniment for chili or any savory dish with gravy or sauce.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan and a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 151 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cornbread For a Crowd in Taste of Home February/March 1999