Corn Soup with Pico de Gallo Recipe
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 4 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper and paprika
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 bacon strip, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- PICO DE GALLO:
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 small serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- 2. Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Rub corn with oil; sprinkle with seasonings. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning frequently. Cool slightly; cut corn from cobs and set aside.
- 3. In a saucepan, saute onion, bacon and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add corn, milk, chilies, cumin and oregano; heat through. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- 4. Combine pico de gallo ingredients. Serve with soup and tortilla strips. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 217 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Corn Soup with Pico de Gallo
"I used almond milk and it worked beautifully."
"EXCELLENT!!! It is WONDERFUL!"
"VERY GOOD TASTING"